Blog #18:Stuck in the Boom Boom Room

Okay we're taking a break in the horrible scary stories that surround my life experiences this week to talk about an album that was highly anticipated for months. Palaye Royale's "Boom Boom Room Side-B" is here folks! And it is nothing short of absolutely fabulous!!!!

I wanna preface this post with a little excerpt I took from wiki because I noticed some people's biggest complaint about the following album was that it was very short. 

The terms A-side and B-side refer to the two sides of 78, 45, and 33 1/3 rpm phonograph records, or cassettes, whether singles, extended plays (EPs), or long-playing (LP) records. The A-side usually featured the recording that the artist, record producer, or the record company intended to receive the initial promotional effort and then receive radio airplay, hopefully, to become a "hit" record. The B-side (or "flip-side") is a secondary recording that has a history of its own: some artists released B-sides that were considered as strong as the A-side and became hits in their own right. Others took the opposite approach: producer Phil Spector was in the habit of filling B-sides with on-the-spot instrumentals that no one would confuse with the A-side. With this practice, Spector was assured that airplay was focused on the side he wanted to be the hit side.


That being said, let me give you a little background on the boys. I'm new to the fandom, but am very familiar with their music (gosh I go digging when I find a band that just rocks though). Boom Boom Room Side B is the fifth, and latest edition to their discogs. The first slew of them being rather short but very beautiful EPs (extended plays) which is something usually 3-5 tracks long that isn't quite a single; one in 2012, two other in 2013, and then another in 2016 some years later. Finally working up to their Debut LP Boom Boom Room in June 2016.
It was fifteen glorious rock-felt, sex driven, powerfully written tracks that leaked gold. I don't know how anyone else feels about the album, but god this album is just pure sex. And yes, I love music that much. 



Leith's angsty tortured vocals and lyrics paired with the hints of classic rock legends make me think that rock is very much alive in the youth of our musicians. A lot of shit on the radio is garbage these days, and though I am not usually one to sit there and shit on someone's musical tastes, in my house we do not listen to the radio. It's awful (save for when Andy Black is hosting this or that--but even then I'd like to gouge my eyes out unless he plays a track or says something). I live how I want to. No radio in this house.

Now I said I was new to the fandom, but let me explain how fresh I am to this wonderful band's music. October last year, American Satan was released starring Andy Black. I took a Greyhound bus by myself to the Valley, two hours away to view this movie. WORTH IT. It was worth every second of anxiety, every fucking penny, and every set back. When I saw that movie I was completely in love. Andy did a wonderful job but honestly I never doubted his awkward beautiful ass, and Ben Bruce just blew me away. Not to mention all the other big names I could honestly go on and on about this movie....but that is for another post. The reason I bring it up is because that is when I was first introduced to Remington Leith's memorizing vocals.I HAD to have more, so naturally, the second I had a good internet connection I did some digging and--oh gosh, I am so SO glad I did. This band is wonderful, wise beyond their years, and truly talented. 

 Seeing them live is truly an experience, and meeting them at warped just proved they are as kind and down to Earth as they present themselves to be. Emerson (drummer), Sebastian (guitarist), and Remington (vocals) are some of the most hard working and dedicated artists that are out there. For example, recently they had a venue close due to issues with the building code. Not only did they relocate promptly and inform all of their fans with love, but they committed to meet ALL of them after the show. I don't know if ya'll can comprehend how MUCH work and LOVE goes into meeting 1500 fans AFTER performing, but wow. I have so much respect for them. Truly. 

That being said I'm down to Boom Boom Side B. An eight track B-side that is just so good I cannot stop listening to it. Oh gosh, I'm thirty years old (I mean 25 plus shipping and handling, clearly, heh.) and it took me back to high school. All those years feeling numb and alone and feeling like an audience member to my own eventual demise. It paints heartbreak and being pushed into that friend zone. It touches on losing friends/family and still going on. It touches on relationships and going crazy, and isn't that all just life? It sounds like the boys are growing up, and we have shared every step of the way. 

Some of the lyrics are super powerful and driven, they come from a very personal place that maybe we may never understand, but sure give us those feels. Eight artfully constructed tracks with beautiful music, eerie background sounds/vocals/noises/messages, and lyrics to relate to. I give this album a 100/10 and am looking at you like, "why haven't you gone to listen to this yet." No, but seriously, it is a good one. There was only one track that felt like elevator music to me, and oddly enough it WAS NOT the last track "The Boom". "The Boom" which (according to the Palaye Royale Twitter account) was beautifully played by Emerson. It was laid on top of an inspirational message that is a little distorted, so I can't wait for my physical copy to come via the mail so I can read what it might be. Sorry boys, my hearing is terrible in one ear from life on the road, you get it. I'm sure they get it. Anyways, from what I can gather of it it's very interesting and the music is relaxing. It's purely instrumental (obviously) or you wouldn't be able to hear the message (which I can't hear anyway) so it won't be everyone's thing--but it sure is mine. 


I didn't have the money to preorder the album and their wonderful items from their website Merch before it's release date (September 28, 2018), but it's fine. Barnes and Noble was carrying it for a good price, so I picked up a copy for my wall. My shit infested mountain town is apparently too good to have anything on it's release date, so unfortunately there are no physical copies in any of the stores here in Flagstaff, but honestly my hoighty toighty asshole neighbors can bite me because "Dying in a hot tub" has been on fucking repeat for two days and I have no fucking regrets.  
Thanks Spotify. Thanks boys. Cheers!






still have more planned too, no computer yet, but soon! If you blink youll miss it, so stay tuned!



Alright fam, 



Love YOU! Stay tight! Stay Real! Be YOU!


Welcome to the ghoul fam xo *~Danii_Grimm~*

 Twitter | Instagram | Younow YouTube | Patreon | Blog | 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Music Interview with Metal Band BE//GOTTEN

Life has gotten in the way for everyone and I'm just going to leave it at that because I'm pretty sure no matter where you are in...