Post # 11: How are you living on a flexitarian diet? It's so expensive....

I think I'm going to start this week's #blogpost with the fact that humans are Omnivores; which, for those of you who may not know the term--means that we need both MEAT and VEGETABLES to survive. That being said I want to tell you that my family recently decided to take on a #flexitarian diet. For the most part, we have done real well. I want to also say that we haven't decided to do anything to be trendy, our choices are mostly health related and OUR CHOICES. Here's an opinion filled article that I don't necessarily agree with, but hey, there are two sides to everyone's story and it's definitely worth a read. I stumbled upon flexitarianism by doing a bit of research because MY body can't handle things like red meat or dairy. SO it was MY decision to cut those things out of my life, for MY health. Not because of the McCartneys, not because its trendy to not eat animals, and certainly not because I feel guilty for doing so because honestly I do not. To me it's the fucking food chain people, and human beings are omnivores as I have stated, so no it doesn't bother me to eat a chicken or some fish. No, I do not like to harm animals, I do not like animal torture, and I do not condone Trophy Hunting. But if something is dead and a meat thing, and there for me to  buy. If the animal wasn't tortured, and there were no added hormones, and that meat is organic--sure....I WILL eat it. BUT I PREFER a plant-based diet. It makes me feel clean, my skin feels clear, and I have a ton of energy (among other unmentioned more personal perks).

Flexitarian Diets  |    A Better (still opinionated) Article On Flexitarianism  | Flexi-recipes | Is This For You?


That should get that curiosity out of the way; which by the way guys its really not rocket science. My body can't handle dairy and red meat so it's out. I still eat chicken sometimes, I still eat fish sometimes, and yes I do include eggs in my diet. I am always curious and ever learning so sometimes this gets replaced with that so I can just try it on a trail basis. But when my body is working the way that I want it to work. That is good enough for me. I don't feel sluggish and sad, I have energy and I want to go out and play (even with a back injury). So aside from those questions I have gotten a lot of "Where do you Shop?" and "What do you buy?" a of course the inevitable "But it's so expensive isn't it?" So I'm going to tackle those bad boys. RIGHT here. RIGHT NOW. 



For those of you whom are curious as to where I shop, there are several places there is never just one. If your are a thrifty shopper then expect to travel for your food because let's face it. Not everything is going to be conveniently priced within a square mile radius unless you are ONLY shopping sales and even then that's debatable. REMEMBER I live in a place where it is very hard to get around, so I'm not trying to go to th beginning of/out of town for my food. But I am willing to work for it. For starters I am a HUGE fan of WHOLEFOODS. Even though it's a good 3 miles there and back, and I walk or take the bus. Bring your own bags!!! save the oceans and don't use plastic!




Yep though, I said it. OH GOD! Before everyone get's their pitchforks and torches, hear me out. For one, I never get my produce here at Wholefoods, they don't last very long because they are likely shipped in from places like New Mexico, Mexico, and California....that being said Wholefoods is great for a number of other items that are both affordable and good for you! Wholefoods is where I get things like my organic coffee, my almond milk, my creamer etc. (GASP BUT YOU SAID YOU DONT DO DAIRY) Relax, I don't. I do almond milk creamer or coconut but never dairy. I also like getting dried goods here, on sale of course so it varies from week to week--and then of course there is BEYOND MEAT a meatless meat like substitute my family (my husband and daughter) are THRILLED to eat every time I make it. IT IS DELICIOUS. And for those meat lovers out there, it is definitely NOT meat, but it sure tastes close. 


Another couple places I shop at are my local Fry's and Safeway; here's the thing. When I go to these places I go in for a very few amount of items. They are very specific and usually coupon or sale related. Nothing really out of the ordinary here except I usually get our bottled water for the fridge, and our terrible for us soda at these places too. Again, sales. I'm thrifty. Speaking of thrifty check out your local BIG LOTS, or if you are RHODE ISLAND based, JOB LOTS. I know ghetto right? WRONG. Why? Because that is some good food that is going out of season that is still very very yummy for cheap. Vegan, Vegetarian, or not--lower income families can certainly benefit from at least a monthly visit to this place. Another place I used to hit up for like sweets and cakes and snacks was the OUTLET stores. god help me, the prices are affordable and you leave with WAY too many fucking things--but they are all delicious and they literally have everything from local preserves to gingersnap cookies to those lil devil cakes with that horrible cream filling. So check your local area for those places!





 That finally brings me to the big baddie. The place I get a bulk of my food, that keeps it under the budget every fucking time is our local farmers market. OH. GASP. Yes. It's organic, its locally grown by good people, it is healthy, it is hearty, and DAMN can you walk away with a BUNCH for a TINY amount. By and by, it's not very difficult to live a healthy lifestyle and it is NOT expensive. We spend in the amount of 350$ a month for three people on organic food and a mostly meatless lifestyle. I keep us healthy, happy, and fed--and as long as you know how to meal plan and play with recipes in your head then you can do it too! I hope all of this has been helpful incite and please, feel free to drop me a dm on the social medias to let me know what you think, how you think I can improve my blog, or to ask any general questions! 




As always it's been a blast to write with you this week,

Love YOU! Stay tight! Stay Real! Be YOU!


Welcome to the ghoul fam xo *~Danii_Grimm~*

Twitter | Instagram | Younow |



YouTube | Patreon | Blog | 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Music Interview with Metal Band BE//GOTTEN

Life has gotten in the way for everyone and I'm just going to leave it at that because I'm pretty sure no matter where you are in...